Whether it is your sister, best friend or any girl actually, throwing a baby shower is a wonderful way to celebrate a mother to be.
1. Define the guest list
Whether the mother to be has asked you or it is a surprise baby shower, start by making a list of all the closest friends and family members. If it is a surprise, their maid of honors, sisters/brothers, sisters/brothers in laws and closest friends should be part of the list and the partner would surely know if there is anyone to add to it. If it is not a surprise, then you can simply ask the mother to be who she would like to invite for her baby shower… without revealing too many details around it.
2. Choose a date and time
Ask you mother-to-be (or her partner if it is a surprise) for a couple of available dates. From there, ask your guest list which date would suit them best either by email or whatapp, if you send them a doodle link to fill, you will easily see which date suits the most people. Keep in mind the date that suits best for close family members and best friends, even if it is not the majority.From there, set the date the time… and the place.
3. Determine the location
You can choose to do it at someone’s place or in a garden, which will allow you more leeway for the decoration and will be cheaper for every one. Or, you can choose do it at a cafe, restaurant or hotel. This will also depend on your preference and whether you choose to do an afternoon tea, a brunch or a lunch… but also on the availability and on your budget.
4. Define a theme
Will it be all pink or all blue (if you know the gender of the baby) or would the mother prefer something more neutral? Do you want a traditional baby shower or maybe just a get together? Does the mother to be like a particular theme like: Peter Rabbit, unicorns, cars… or is she more natural with flowers and leaves, or maybe around a hobby or passion of hers.
5. Organise decorations
Decorations are hard to find in stores but you find plenty of very cute ideas online, here are some that I have ordered for the different baby showers I organised. Also, think of decorations that are either edible or that the person would eventually reuse for the decoration of the baby’s room. Do not leave this for the last minute as you’ll have to count in shipping time.
- Banners with the last name, this way it can be reused for the decoration of the baby’s room: here
- Cake and cupcake toppers : buy edible ones, so you will not have to throw these away: little animals , little feet or why not uploading the picture of your friend on an edible wafer?
- Balloon arches might not be the most eco friendly so you can opt for paper arches with beautiful flowers or gorgeous botanical leaves that can be transferred for the baby’s room or
- For other decorations, think of what can be reused such as : baby blocks, baby onesies or a diaper cake.
6. Refreshments and Food
If you are organizing it at someone’s place or in a garden, you will have to plan food and refreshments. You may either hire a caterer, take care of it yourself or ask every guest to bring something.
To prepare something a little more special, here are a couple of ideas:
- Popcorn bags with little tags “Ready to pop” for boys or girls
- Cupcakes with cute little feet (girls / boys /gender neutral)
- Biscuits with baby cookie cutters or store bought, either neutral or with a theme.
- Personalised M&M treats
- Mom-o-sa bar: Buy a couple of different fresh juices, fruits and Champagne or Prosecco and put this cute little sign
- Infused waters with strawberries and raspberries for girls and blueberries or mint & cucumbers for boys
7. Plan some entertainment
Here are a couple of ideas that I had found for other baby showers:
- The price is right: Prepare a basket with several baby essentials ( diapers, creams, onesies and baby wipes) and keep the total price for yourself. The guests will have to estimate the total price and the one with the nearest price to the correct retail value wins a prize.
- Who’s that baby: Ask each of your guests to send you a photo of themselves as a baby (prior to the baby shower). Make a collage of all the photos on one page, and hand one each to your guests who must note the correct name under each photo. The guest who guesses the most names correctly wins!
- Baby food game: Buy 3 or 4 baby food jars, some yummy like apple & pear, some fishy like carrot, salmon and dill risotto and some tricky like carrots, peas and cauliflower. Hide the labels and the person who guesses the most flavors correctly gets a prize.
- Guess the bump size: Every guest has to guess the size of the baby bump and write their predictions,. The one you gets the closest wins a prize.
Prizes for these games can be chap sticks, a pair of socks, stickers or candy.
8. Organise gift
Some mothers know exactly what they needs and others have either received a lot of clothes or items and others do not know what they need… so the best bet is to give a voucher from a store, each guest can contribute as much as they want to. Also, the mother can buy as she needs as vouchers often last a year or two.
Wishing you all the fun in organising the baby shower and if you have any suggestions, let us know and we will add it to this.